DAN 75th Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine Course
|Dates||May 3 2014toMay 10 2014|
|Location||Little Cayman Beach Resort |
Little Cayman , International, Little Cayman
|Phone||800-446-2671 ext. 556|
The DAN 75th Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine Course will be at Little Cayman Beach Resort in Little Cayman May 3-10, 2014.
This six-day course is designed primarily for physicians. It may be of value to emergency medical personnel, paramedics, nurses and other professionals with interest in diving as well.
The program delivers a range of topics to orient participants to the state of the art of diving safety, diving medicine, hyperbaric medicine and environmental physiology. Classroom time includes lectures and interactive case studies sessions. The nature of the venue and course organization encourages casual interactions between faculty and participants beyond the classroom.
Presentation topics include:
- Medical and physical fitness to dive
- Diving safety - issues and current research
- Hyperbaric medicine - applications, protocols and mechanisms
- Decompression physiology and pathophysiology
- Diving injuries and management
- Considerations for thermal stress, altitude exposure, freediving and special populations
- Controversies in diving medicine
The rooms and tropical foliage of Little Cayman Beach Resort capture the warmth and beauty of the island of Little Cayman. The resort sits on a private beach with views of the Caribbean water and reefs. Divers from around the globe have proclaimed Little Cayman as one of the world’s premier dive destinations with pristine reefs, excellent visibility and incredible diving. The coral canyons, sand chutes and sponge covered walls are all part of the Little Cayman dive experience. Turtles are a common sighting. Eagle rays, angel fish, reef sharks and grouper are among the 500 plus species of fish documented in the Little Cayman waters.
In addition to the world class diving, guests can explore the island trails or, for a rental fee, kayak the clear waters. The resort property includes a swimming pool, hot tub, beach hammocks, basketball and tennis courts plus a fitness center. The on-site boutique, Mermaids, carries a range of gifts and essentials. The nearby Nature Spa caters to both men and women with a variety of spa treatments. Wireless internet is available throughout the resort.
The exclusive package assembled for DAN CME course participants includes 7 nights lodging, three buffet meals daily, and 6 days of two tank diving plus a night dive. Room and meal taxes and gratuities are included. Nitrox and rental dive equipment are available at additional charge.
The course fee is $700 before March 15. After March 15, course fee is $800.
The course fee for individuals not booking the DAN-Little Cayman Beach Resort package is $950.
CME registration includes:
- Course materials
- CME credit
- Course shirt
- Welcome and farewell receptions
Final payment is due March 17th
For more information contact DAN Education.
Phone: 919-684-2948, ext. 556
Toll free: 800-446-2671, ext. 556
Neal W. Pollock, PhD
Divers Alert Network
Patty Seery, MHS, DMT
Divers Alert Network
Participants are welcome to make their own travel arrangements. If assistance is desired, you may contact Paul Ducey with Horizon Travel
Travel expenses are not covered by resort or program registration fees. Course participants are responsible for all travel expenses. Trip insurance is recommended. https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/trip/
Accreditation This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint sponsorship of Wilderness Medical Society (WMS) and Divers Alert Network (DAN). WMS is accredited by ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation WMS designates this live activity for a maximum of 24 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Disclosure Statement All faculty members and planners participating in continuing medical education activities sponsored by DAN are expected to disclose to the participants any real or apparent conflict of interest related to the content of their presentations. Full disclosure of faculty and planner relationships will be made at the activity.
Special Needs Statement
Divers Alert Network is committed to making its activities accessible to all individuals. If you are in need of an accommodation or special dietary considerations, please call and/or submit a description of your needs in writing in order to receive service.
Cancellation and Refunds
In the event that sufficient persons are not secured for the course, the right is reserved to cancel this program and the refund of course or diving fee monies will release DAN of any further obligation. DAN is not responsible for any cancellation or travel itinerary change fees assessed by the hotel, airlines or travel agents.
Hotel and course cancellations are handled directly through DAN Education. Reservation cancellations after March 17, 2014 are subject to a penalty equal to 50% of the total cost of the package. Course and hotel payments will not be refunded for cancellations made after March 24, 2014 or in the event of non-notification of cancellation prior to the start of the course.
Responsibility and Liability
- A valid passport for each group member is required. DAN is not responsible if other identification is used.
- Baggage and personal effects are at owner's risk throughout the trip. Trip and baggage insurance is strongly recommended. (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/trip/index.asp)
- DAN is acting as an agent for suppliers selling services, and is not responsible for any intentional or careless actions or omissions on the part of such suppliers which result in any loss, damage, delay or injury to you or your travel companions or group members.
- DAN assumes no liability or responsibility for the diving program. Each diver is responsible for his/her own safety and does hereby hold the aforementioned harmless from and against any and all claims and damages of every kind for injury to or death of any person or persons and for damages to or loss of property which arises as a result of the negligent acts of the diving service and the equipment supplied by them. Consent to the above conditions will be indicated by payment and participation in the diving program.